Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 61: Examples

We had our first Skills Review quiz of the year, covering slope & linear equations. Even though it had been mentioned as early as last week, it's written on the board, posted on the website, and was mentioned explicitly in class yesterday, I still had a few students express their shock as such a discovery. After the quiz, one student responded with "can I be excused from this? I've forgotten all of this material." Thanks for proving my point. 

I spent some time addressing the continuing confusion between segments & angles. One of the most frustrating things I see in Geometry is: "Determine the measure of angle DGO." with a student response that reads "6 inches." Answers like that was actually one of the main reasons I wrote this new curriculum and spent so much time (all of Unit 2, about 4 weeks) going over segments & angles. And yet, the confusion persists. In some cases, the issue is quite literally that students do not know/remember the meaning of the words "measure" and "calculate" (vs. "determine"). 

We wrapped with an example working through the Pythagorean Theorem and I handed out U4 WS2, but we haven't covered the distance formula yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment