In any event, to ease students back into school after spring break, today was a very simple intro discovery lesson.
- Draw point A
- Have students agree on a common distance (pick a number between 1 and 10), and draw a new point X cm away from point A
- Repeat Y times (pick another number between 10 and 20).
- (Amazingly, this is the step that killed everyone. You should have seen the misinterpretations)
- What is the longest possible segment you can make connection 2 of the points you drew?
- What is the relationship between your answer to #1 and the distance we used to start?
- Find the perimeter of the shape by measuring the point-to-point distance at every gap and adding them up (you should have heard the groans)
- What is the relationship between the perimeter and the longest segment?
And then I gushed about how awesome Pi is. They didn't care.